Spring is right around the corner, so now is the perfect time to consider servicing your air conditioner. After all, you don’t want to be caught in the middle of a heatwave with a broken AC unit! But how often should you service your AC unit, and what factors influence how often it needs servicing? Keep reading to find out.
What factors influence how often you should service your AC unit?
A few factors can influence how often your air conditioner needs servicing. These include:
- The type of AC unit you have: Central AC units need to be serviced more frequently than window units. This is because they have more components that can break down over time.
- The age of your AC unit: Older units will generally need to be serviced more often than newer ones. This is because they’ve had more time to accumulate dust and dirt, which can eventually break down parts. However, newer units may also need more frequent servicing if not correctly installed or maintained.
- The environment in which your AC unit is located: If you live in an area with high humidity levels, your AC unit will need to work harder to cool your home. As a result, it will likely need to be serviced more frequently. Similarly, if your unit is located in an area with a lot of dust or other particles in the air, this can also cause it to break down more quickly and need servicing more often.
- The frequency with which you use your AC unit: if you use your AC unit more frequently, it will need to be serviced more often than if you only turn it on occasionally. This is because constant use causes parts to wear down faster.
Assuming that you have a central AC unit less than ten years old and is located in an area with moderate humidity levels, you should aim to service it at least once a year. However, if any of the above factors apply to you (e.g., you have an older unit or live in an area with high humidity levels), you may need to service your AC unit more frequently.
Signs That You Need Air Conditioner Servicing
In addition to servicing your air conditioner regularly, it’s also important to be aware of the signs that indicate it’s time for a tune-up. Some signs that you need air conditioner servicing include:
- Higher than usual energy bills: If you notice that your energy bills have been gradually increasing even though your usage hasn’t changed, this could be a sign that your AC unit isn’t working as efficiently as it used to and needs tuning up.
- Poor airflow: If you notice that there isn’t as much airflow coming from your vents as there used to be, this could indicate that your system is clogged with dust and dirt and needs to be cleaned out.
- Strange smells or sounds coming from your AC unit: If you notice any strange smells or sounds coming from your AC unit, this could mean that something is wrong with it, and it needs servicing. For example, a burning smell could indicate an electrical problem, while banging or grinding sounds could mean something wrong with the fan blades.
If you notice any of the above signs, it’s essential to call a professional for air conditioner servicing as soon as possible. Ignoring these signs can lead to severe problems, such as a complete system breakdown.
Tips on How to Properly Maintain Your AC Unit
In addition to regular servicing, there are also some things you can do on a day-to-day basis to properly maintain your AC unit and prevent problems from developing in the first place. These tips include:
- Cleaning the filter regularly: One of the most important things you can do to maintain your AC unit is to clean the filter regularly. Depending on the type of filter you have and the environment in which you live, you may need to clean or change it as often every month or as infrequently as every few months. However, a good rule is to clean it every three months to be safe.
- Keeping the area around your AC unit clean: It’s also essential to keep the area around your AC unit clean—free of debris such as leaves or dust—so it can function correctly. Additionally, ensure nothing is blocking the vents so air can flow freely through them.
Air conditioners are essential for any home, especially during the hot summer. However, like any other appliance, they require regular servicing and maintenance to function correctly. Be sure to schedule an appointment with a professional at least once a year, and keep an eye out for signs that indicate your AC unit needs attention in between meetings. These simple tips will help ensure you stay cool all summer!